Workshop: Floral Ink Painting with Sofie Dieu
Learn to capture the detail and beauty in Australian native plants in this full day workshop with Sofie Dieu.
Using a variety of inks, paper, brushes and pen, learn to create subtle layers in your work, as well as playing with light, darkness and texture.
Sofie will help you see the unique architecture, or botanical structure of the plants and flowers and work with you to develop your own unique style of rendering what you see.
In the morning you will create the background of your works, before adding the plants and flowers of your choice. In the afternoon you will experiment with white ink detailing to add depth and contrast to your paintings.
Students will have the opportunity to complete a few A4 and A3 sized paintings on both watercolour paper and handmade textured paper. This workshop also includes tips for composition, archival arts, and how to create in series.
What you will learn
- Build a foundation in ink painting
- Develop your own floral art lexicon
- Experiment with wet on dry and wet on wet techniques
- Develop the confidence to experiment and develop your own unique style
- Tips for composition
- Making a work suitable for archive
- How to create a series without becoming repetitive