Budding artists between the ages of 5 and 18 are invited to submit a portrait for the Young Archie competition, as part of our family-focused activities for the Archibald Prize 2017 regional tour.
The portrait should be of a person who is special to you - someone who is known to you and plays a significant role in your life.
There are four age categories:
- 5-8 year olds
- 9-12 year olds
- 13-15 year olds
- 16-18 year olds
We welcome entries from schools but, due to numbers, we strongly encourage you to first run your own internal competition then submit only your top works (up to 10) into the official Young Archie competition at the Gallery.
The competition will be judged by Jodie Furrugia, Artistic Director of the Flying Fruit Fly Circus, based on merit and originality.
Five finalists from each category will be exhibited at the Gallery and on the Gallery website. One winner will be chosen in each category.
Each finalist and winner will receive prizes provided by ANZ.
- One artwork only per entrant.
- You may use any art materials you like but your artwork must be two-dimensional and on good-quality paper so it can be pinned for display if you are a finalist.
- Can be vertical or horizontal.
- Must be no smaller than A4 (210 x 297 mm), no bigger than A3 (420 x 297 mm) and no thicker than 1cm.
- Should be clearly labelled on the back with which way it should be displayed, along with your name, age, address and contact details. Make sure this doesn't show through to the front.
How to enter
- Download, print and complete the entry form, which includes a brief statement (less than 100 words) telling us who you have chosen to depict and why. This form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Your artwork should be sent flat, not folded or rolled. We suggest you place it between two pieces of cardboard to protect it.
- If you wish your artwork returned after the competition, please also enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope of the correct size. Families submitting artwork for more than one child must enclose one envelope per artwork due to the way that entries are processed.
- Entries can be hand delivered or mailed to: Young Archie Competition, 546 Dean Street, Albury, 2640.
- Competition opens 16 December 2017
- Entries must be received by 24 January 2018 at 5.00pm
- Finalists and winners will be announced on 25 January 2018
- Finalists will be displayed 26 January - 28 January 2018
Please read full Terms & Conditions before submitting your entry.
The Young Archie competition is supported by presenting partner ANZ.