When: Thursdays, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
Where: Workshop within Commonwealth Growth Centre, MAMA.
Price: $190 ($171 moMAMA / Concession)
Digital cameras are all the rage and in most cases are simple to use. But if you want to switch from the default "auto" mode and take full control, then this 10-week photography course is for you.
Led by experienced photographer Dirk Wallace, each week of the 10 week course will give you a core set of skills that will help you get the most out of your digital camera.
The first week will be an introduction to your digital camera, how to use each of the settings on your camera, and how to shoot with control. You will explore light, space and visual solutions while learning to experiment with says to enhance digital images. This knowledge will help you move beyond 'happy snaps' and into beautiful, considered compositions. Over the remaining weeks of the course you will refine your technical skills, and explore various creative photographic approaches.
Topics that will be covered in the course include:
- Understanding your digital camera - master shutter speed, aperture and exposure triangle, colour management, lens choice, on-and-off camera flash, studio lighting, long exposure photography and other creative and artistic techniques.
- Exploring different genres of photography - including macro, landscape, portraits, artistic photography, creative portraiture and the history of photography.
- Post-production - learn about digital manipulation of photographs using Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, monitor calibration, preparing images for online and printing.
You'll need to bring your own camera SLR (DSLR), or at least a high end compact camera with manual (M) setting, the camera manual and a tripod. There will be some studio lighting and other equipment available for participants to use, however Dirk welcomes students to bring along any other lighting or equipment that they would like to learn how to use.
Please contact us if all class times are booked out and we will put your name on a waiting list for another session.
Full Range of Photography Courses
Due to popular demand on our photography courses, MAMA has expanded its course offerings to include:
Term Two Courses
10 week courses beginning 25 April 2017
- Digital Photography - Thursdays 6.00pm - 8.00pm
- Basic Photo Editing - Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
- Film Photography - Fridays, 6.00pm - 8.00pm - Cancelled
Weekend Art Courses and Workshops
Meet Dirk Wallace
Dirk Wallace is an experienced freelance photographer, as a commercial photographer for events, and business. Dirk is a web developer and incorporates his photography work into online applications for business, specialising in camera and photography stores.
As an artist, Dirk has a passion for botanical photography, and abstract photographic art. He enjoys the medium of photography as a way of capturing the elements of nature, and utilises experimental photographic techniques to extend the medium.
Dirk particularly enjoys building community around art, and connecting people through their love of photography. As a teacher, Dirk is appreciated for his ability to ignite his students interest and creative flair, whilst providing stepwise, practical tuition on the technical details.