Digital Photography - Level 1
When: Term Four: Mondays 10.30am - 12.30pm, Thursdays 6.00pm - 8pm
Where: Workshop within the Commonwealth Growth Centre, MAMA
Price: $260 ($245 moMAMA / Concession)
Digital cameras are all the rage and in most cases are simple to use. But if you want to switch from the default "auto" mode and take full control, then this 10-week photography course is for you.
Led by experienced photographer Dirk Wallace, each week of the 10 week course will give you a core set of skills that will help you get the most out of your digital camera.
The first week will be an introduction to your digital camera, how to use each of the settings, and how to shoot with control. You will explore light, space and visual solutions while learning to experiment with says to enhance digital images. This knowledge will help you move beyond 'happy snaps' and into beautiful, considered compositions. Over the remaining weeks of the course you will refine your technical skills, and explore various creative photographic approaches.
Topics that will be covered in the course include:
- Understanding your digital camera - master shutter speed, aperture and exposure triangle, colour management, lens choice, on-and-off camera flash, studio lighting, long exposure photography and other creative and artistic techniques.
- Exploring different genres of photography - including macro, landscape, portraits, artistic photography, creative portraiture and the history of photography.
- Post-production - learn about digital manipulation of photographs using Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, monitor calibration, preparing images for online and printing.
You'll need to bring your own camera SLR (DSLR), or at least a high end compact camera with manual (M) setting, the camera manual and a tripod. There will be some studio lighting and other equipment available for participants to use, however Dirk welcomes students to bring along any other lighting or equipment that they would like to learn how to use.
Term Four Art Courses
- Term Four commences week beginning Sunday 8 October, and ends Friday 15 December.
- All classes commence in week one of Term Four
- 2 hour classes run for 10 weeks, 2.5 hour classes run for 8 weeks.
- Bookings for Term Four will remain open until Friday 22 September, unless sold out prior.
- Materials packages, where available, need to be ordered and paid for by Friday 22 September
- Additional classes will be added where possible, after the scheduled classes book out.
- Please contact us if all class times are booked out and we will put your name on a waiting list for another session.
- Please note: in making a booking with MAMA you agree to the terms and conditions.
Meet Dirk Wallace
Dirk Wallace is an experienced freelance photographer, as a commercial photographer for events, and business. Dirk is a web developer and incorporates his photography work into online applications for business, specialising in camera and photography stores.
As an artist, Dirk has a passion for botanical photography, and abstract photographic art. He enjoys the medium of photography as a way of capturing the elements of nature, and utilises experimental photographic techniques to extend the medium.
Dirk particularly enjoys building community around art, and connecting people through their love of photography. As a teacher, Dirk is appreciated for his ability to ignite his students interest and creative flair, whilst providing stepwise, practical tuition on the technical details.
Please note: in making a booking with MAMA you agree to the terms and conditions.