Watercolours - Level One
|When:||Mondays, 1.30pm - 4.00pm|
Wednesdays, 6.00pm - 8.30pm
|Term:||Terms 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Term Dates)|
|Where:||Studio & Workshop within the Commonwealth Growth Centre, MAMA.|
|Cost:||$260 ($245 moMAMA / Concession)|
|Materials:||$120 (optional), purchase online or at ShopMAMA two weeks prior to term|
Enjoy an introduction to watercolour painting over eight 2.5 hour sessions.
Experienced tutor and artist Robyn White will lead you through the foundation skills of watercolour, introducing you to the colour wheel, helping you understand tonal values and the importance of letting go and allowing the medium to flow.
Gain confidence in this challenging medium by learning how to:
- Stretch paper and prepare the surface
- Sketch a foundation drawing
- Achieve seamless washes
- Apply hard and soft edges
- Minimise brush strokes and avoid overworking the page
Robyn will step you through the different surfaces, materials, tools and techniques commonly used in watercolours, including paper types, brushes, knives, scraping and splatter tools, salt, masking fluid and white gouache.
After 8 weeks in the studio, Robyn will have you enjoying the spontaneity of this medium, and the freshness that comes from the mingling of colours and washes. It is recommended that students new to watercolour purchase a Materials Package to ensure that they have artist quality materials to use in class.
Bring your own materials or purchase a Materials Package with artist quality art supplies tailored for this course:
MAMA Materials Package Includes:
- Five Holbein Artist Quality 15mL watercolours
- Two large brushes
- Two sheets of Arches or Saunders 300gsm 100% cotton watercolour paper
- Cost: $120
- Additional classes will be added where possible, after the scheduled classes book out.
- Please contact us if all class times are booked out and we will put your name on a waiting list for another session.
- Watercolour Level Two will be offered later this year. Please contact us to register your interest
- Please note: in making a booking with MAMA you agree to the terms and conditions.
Meet Robyn White
Robyn White is a passionate visual artist and engaging arts tutor with over 20 years experience. Working across mediums in her own practice, Robyn loves to teach watercolour, drawing and pastels.
As a tutor, Robyn is warm and empathetic, having experienced many of the challenges and frustrations that her students faced in the development of her own skills and knowledge. Robyn embraced art 25 years ago, after taking a break from her career in finance to raise her family. Having always had aptitude and appetite for art, Robyn built on her earlier talents for drawing and after 20 plus years, now has her own studio & arts supply store in Wodonga.
Robyn encourages students to build strong technical foundations upon which they can loosen control and let the materials work their magic on the page.