MAMA Art Prize is a biennial acquisitive award dedicated to innovation and excellence across contemporary, traditional and new media genres.
From the 62 applications, the MAMA Art Prize Selection Panel have shortlisted 26 artists as finalists.
The shortlisted artists and their artworks (in no particular order) are:
- SEATON, Kendal, Unleaded, 2015, Digital photographic print on photographic paper
- LYON, Calista, Celina, 2013 - 2015, Archival pigment print
- STEWART, Remi, Sound Waves of Green, 2015, Spray paint
- SCHMIDT, Joy, Pomegranates, 2016, Mixed media
- HODGSON, Molly, Robin, 2015, Mixed media (matchsticks, matchboxes, hot glue, acrylic paint, Sharpie textas, glass and wood)
- COSSOR, Bronwyn, Terrain, 2016, Mixed media
- HAMPTON, Kay, Yellow Earth, 2016, Acrylic on canvas
- WILSON, K.E, Song for Nancy, 2016, Acrylic on canvas
- SIMPKIN, Matthew, Untitled, 2016, Ink on paper
- ROBSON, Ben, Lilah, 2016, Photographic print, Giclée on edition etching rag
- GRACE, Tyler, Faceless, 2016, Digital photographic print on fine art paper
- STRAND, Barbara, Two Cities (The Rivers Series), 2016, Acrylic on canvas
- ENGLISH, Anthea, Will I?, 2015, Digital photograph
- STEWART, Catherine, The Catchment - Wooragee, 2016, Oil, acrylic, spray paint, oil pastel and pencil on linen
- SANDERS, Tim, Hunt, 2015, Oil on canvas
- BARNES, Phaedra, Simple Fulfilment, 2015, Acrylic mounted photograph
- BOURNE, Chantelle, Lineage from the series Other People's Lives, 2016, Digital photographic print
- GRIGGS, Mary-Jane, Cooee I, 2016, Acrylic paint, gesso liquid, graphite, talc, glue, card, paper
- COLWELL-BEAVER, Faith, Villa Medusa, 2016, Colour pencils
- WALTHER, Daniel, Untitled, 2015, Acrylic and fluorescent paint on canvas
- ORD, Natalie, Summer 1985, 2016, digital photograph
- BENNETT, Rachel, Learning to Fly, 2015, Photograph digital printed on giclée cotton rag
- WALLACE, Dirk, Rousing the Life Energy, 2015, Giclée print on Ilford fine art paper
- VAN ZANTEN, MariJana, The Twins, 2015, Oil on 680gsm paper
- CROKER, Gina, Test Shot, 2016, Digital photographic print
- SPROUSER, Meg, Afternoon Shadows, 2016, Acrylic on canvas
The MAMA Art Prize also includes the following special awards:
- The MAMA Indigenous Acquisition Award, open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander artists as a long-term commitment to the acquisition of indigenous art.
- The Jennifer Bowskill Award, open to female photographers aged over 35 years.
- The Susan Moorhead Memorial Award, established in memory of artist Susan Moorhead (1947–1990), assists emerging artists from the region in the development and realisation of their professional career goals.
The finalists artworks will be on exhibition from Saturday 16 July, with the overall winner and winners in each prize category announced at the official opening and awards presentation on Friday 15 July 2016.
Remember to cast your vote in the MAMA Art Prize 2016 People's Choice Award. The artwork with the highest votes will be announced at the end of the exhibition, and one lucky voter will win a double pass to MAMA's upcoming exhibition SPEED: The Fast and the Curious.